Thursday, June 24, 2010

SUBJECTIVE WORLD BUT THAT'S OK

Do you think we live in a subjective world?  I think our world is somewhat subjective.  And here my 2 examples why.


If I drop off the car for a regular service, the service rep. would take the car, give me the service order, and call me when it's done.  If Marcel drops the car, the service rep. would greet him nicely, "Hey Marcel, I saw you and your wife last time at P.F. Chang, Man!  What can I do for you?"  Yeah, he knows Marcel by name.  He recognizes my face too and knows the car belong to Marcel.  But he never refers to me as Mrs. P.  HA HA.  He would greet Marcel before the car pulls completely in.  He would call Marcel during the day to give the status.  He would give Marcel a free battery change for the remote.  He would get Marcel a paid-for rental (if the service needs to be overnighted).  AND, yes, you have to read this part .. AND, he would give Geeky (our car) a free quick exterior wash.  I mean, when I found out that's how they operate and the perks we're getting, I just let Marcel do all of our regular services.  I truly don't mind.  It makes me wonder, is the car a guy thing that's why the service rep. acts all the way out to please my guy?  I don't know.


Another example was very recent.  Marcel went to drop off his suit at a Chinese-owned GO GREEN dry cleaner.  The lady owner took the suit, asked where Marcel worked, and charged him $17.55.  Two days ago I went to get the same suit dry-cleaned at the same place.  The lady owner took my name and mumbled to herself, "很奇怪!"  So I asked, "什么奇怪, 阿姨?"  From there, we carried on a conversation in Chinese.  Of course with me doing a lot of hmm hmm hmm.  LOL.  But she's so patient with my broken Chinese and didn't switch to English right away.  She ended up calling her husband to tend to another 3 guests that came after me so that she could talk to me HAHA.  And finally, when I got the bill, she only charged me $12.55.  That's like $5 off from what she charged Marcel the other day.  SOOOOOO FUNNY!  All because of my broken Chinese.  I'm sure Marcel also doesn't mind for me to take his suit for dry cleaning.  And I don't mind either cause I get to see my new 阿姨.  :-)


So yeah, in our experiences, the world is quite subjective.  But that's OK.  We can get by in most of the cases.  Do you have interesting experiences to share where you'd go, "Why did he do that to her but not me?"  I'd love to hear 'em.

No comments: